Originating in North America, the American shorthair cat is one of the most popular cat breeds in the world. These cats are known for their easy-going nature and gentle disposition. They make great pets for families with children, and they are also very low-maintenance animals. This article discusses American shorthair cats. We will cover their physical characteristics, personality traits, and common health problems. So if you are considering adding an American shorthair to your family, keep reading.
American Shorthair Cat Breed History
The American Shorthair is a descendant of European cats brought to North America by early settlers to keep mice out of grain storage. These settlers probably chose to keep the cats that best suited their new environment and lifestyle. The permanent breeding population of shorthairs was established by the early 1900s.
During World War II, shorthairs were crossbred with other breeds, such as the Russian Blue, to produce a hardier, more robust cat. In 1966, the Cat Fanciers’ Association (CFA) recognized the American Shorthair as a distinct breed. The CFA describes the ideal American Shorthair as a “well-balanced, medium to a large sized cat with a short, thick coat in a wide variety of patterns and colors.” Americans love American Shorthair cats.
American Shorthair Cat Personality
They are easy to care for and make excellent companions. American Shorthairs are known for their quiet, gentle personalities and affinity for humans. They are intelligent cats who like to play and can be easily trained. American Shorthairs are good-natured and even-tempered, making them well-suited for families with children. They also adapt to new surroundings and do not mind being left alone for short periods. Overall, the American Shorthair is a loving, affectionate breed that makes a great addition to any home.
American Shorthair Cat Characteristics
- She’s a great all-around pet who adapts well to almost any lifestyle and owner personality.
- The American Shorthair may not be the right choice if you’re looking for an affectionate lap cat.
- She loves his people, but he expresses his love in his way and on his terms.
- Don’t be surprised if he follows you from room to room or chirps at you to get your attention.
- The American Shorthair is an independent thinker, so expect him to do things his way.
- She’s not the cat who will follow your every command, but he can be trained to do tricks and behaviors with patience and positive reinforcement.
- When it comes to playing, the American Shorthair is all about fun.
- She loves toys that challenge his hunting instincts, such as wand toys and toy mice.
- She’ll also enjoy a good game of fetch and happily chase a ball around the house.
- Just be prepared for him to bring the ball back to you when he’s done playing with it.
- Overall, the American Shorthair is a versatile, adaptable cat that makes a great companion for almost any type of owner.
- If you’re looking for an affectionate lap cat, you might want to look elsewhere. But if you’re looking for a loyal friend with some independence, the American Shorthair could be a perfect choice.
Read More: Savannah Cat Breed Information, Characteristics, Care
American Shorthair Cat Lifespan
- The American Shorthair is a robust, healthy breed with a 15-20 years lifespan.
- Additionally, the breed has a reputation for longevity, with many cats living into their 20s or even 30s.
- Domestic cats typically live for 12-15 years on average. While the precise reasons for this longevity are not fully understood.
- It is believed that the breed’s strong genetic makeup plays a role. In any case, American Shorthair cats are among the longest-lived domestic cats.
American Shorthair Cat Prons and Cons
- The American Shorthair is a sturdy yet elegant cat breed with a short fur coat in various colors and patterns.
- As well as being laid-back, they are also good with children and other pets.
- American Shorthairs are also relatively low-maintenance cats, requiring only occasional brushing and the occasional bath.
- They are not particularly vocal cats and can be quite independent, which some people may find unappealing.
- It is important to ensure they exercise and eat well.
- Overall, the American Shorthair is a wonderful cat for those looking for a loyal and low-maintenance companion.
American Shorthair Cat Types
If you’re looking for a list of American shorthair cat breeds, I recommend the following sources:
Black American Shorthair Cat
The black American shorthair cat is a beautiful and unique breed of cat. As the name suggests, they are black, but they can also have some white markings on their chest and belly. They are medium-sized cats with a muscular bodies and short, black fur. Black American shorthair cats are known for being friendly and outgoing, making great companions for families with children. If you are looking for a black American shorthair cat, check out your local animal shelters or rescue organizations.
White American Shorthair Cat
The white American shorthair cat is a friendly, lovable breed that makes a great companion for families. They are known for their thick, dense fur coats, which can come in various colors and patterns. While they are typically white with orange or black markings, there is a lot of variation in the breed. White American shorthair cats are known for their large, muscular bodies and long legs.
They are a medium to large breed, and males often weigh between 10 and 15 pounds. Typically, females weigh 8 to 12 pounds. White American shorthair cats have a life expectancy of around 15 years. They are relatively healthy, but like all cats, they are prone to health problems. In addition, they may suffer from dental issues, so it’s important to keep an eye on their oral health. Overall, the white American shorthair cat is a beautiful, loving breed that makes a great addition to any family.
Related Topic: 10 facts About Birman Cat – Information, Personality, Characteristics, and Care
Orange American Shorthair Cat
The orange American shorthair cat is a beautiful, active feline that is a great companion for families and individuals. Orange American shorthairs are known for their orange fur, ranging in the shade from light apricot to dark ginger. They are also relatively large cats, with males and females typically weighing 10 and 15 pounds. In terms of personality, orange American shorthairs are outgoing and affectionate but can also be independent and stubborn sometimes.
Generally, they are easy to train and enjoy being around people and animals. With proper care and attention, an orange American shorthair cat can make a wonderful addition to any home.
Grey American Shorthair Cat
The grey American shorthair cat is a beautiful, sleek animal that makes a lovely pet. Their friendly dispositions make them great companions. Grey American shorthairs are also very intelligent and can easily be trained to do tricks or behaviors. Cats like to play and climb, and they make excellent hunters. If you are looking for a grey American shorthair cat, find a reputable breeder who can provide you with a healthy, well-socialized kitten. Your grey American shorthair cat will bring you years of joy and companionship with proper care and attention.
Tuxedo American Shorthair Cat
Tuxedo American shorthair cats are some of the most regal and striking felines. As their name suggests, they are characterized by their tuxedo-like markings, with a black body and white chest, paws, and belly. Besides having large, expressive eyes, they also have broad heads. Despite their dignified appearance, tuxedo American shorthair cats are quite playful and outgoing, making them excellent companions.
They are also relatively low-maintenance pets, not prone to excessive shedding or vocalizing. The American tuxedo shorthair is the perfect choice if you’re looking for a beautiful, laid-back cat.
Domestic American Shorthair Cat
The domestic American shorthair cat is a sturdy, muscular breed with a short coat in many colors and patterns. Playful and friendly, they are known for their high energy levels. American shorthairs are also very affectionate cats and enjoy being around people. Family companions are typically good with children and other pets.
In terms of care, domestic American shorthairs require relatively little grooming and are generally low-maintenance pets. They are versatile breeds that can adapt well to different homes and lifestyles. A domestic American shorthair cat might make a great pet if you’re looking for a loyal, loving companion.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Much is an American Shorthair Cat?
The average price of an American shorthair cat is around $600. However, prices can vary depending on the specific cat’s lineage, color, and other factors. You can pay more for a show-quality American shorthair or one with rarer colors or patterns. Generally speaking, male cats are also usually slightly more expensive than females. Kitten, the price will be higher than for an adult cat.
Where to Buy American Shorthair Cat?
There are several ways to find an American Shorthair cat breeder. You can ask your veterinarian for a referral or search online for a reputable breeder. Once you’ve found a few potential breeders, visit their facilities and meet the cats before making your final decision.